Tuesday, October 19, 2010

The Alienist

Reading for me is a form of relaxation and enjoyment. Unfortunately, I don't get to read as often as I want to but I want to promise myself that from now on I'm going to make an effort to read more. One of the most amazing novels I've read is The Alienist. I was a bit intimidated by the thick paperback and I didn't really know anything about Caleb Carr, the novel's author, but as soon as I started reading I had trouble putting the book down. I just wanted to finish the whole book in one sitting. It's that riveting and interesting. Caleb Carr is a master story teller. It feels as if you're part of the whole scene and while the serial killer is butchering his victims, you're actually there watching the morbid crime. I was never fond of reading period paperbacks, but this one is different. The whole story happened in the 19th century but somehow it's similar to modern times. Brutal murders still take place. The book is suspenseful, scary and excellently written. It's the kind that makes you think hard. But if you hate violence, this one is definitely not for you. Nevertheless, The Alienist is an unforgettable piece of work.   

No comments: