Friday, February 22, 2013

My Pininyahang Manok

When my dad celebrated his birthday last week I cooked something special for him. I do not normally cook at home since I am not very good at it but it is a special occasion so I wanted to make it memorable for him and for all of us. He likes chicken so I made him Pininyahang Manok, a classic Filipino dish that mixes the richness of milk balanced with the sweet and sour kick of Del Monte Pineapple Tidbits. 

Pininyahang Manok

Ingredients:

2 pouches (115 g each) Del Monte Pineapple Tidbits, drained (reserve syrup)
2 tbsp ginger strips
6 cloves garlic, crushed
1 large red onion, sliced
3/4 kg chicken thigh and leg, cut into serving portions
1-2 tbsp patis
1/2 tsp peppercorn
1 pc medium red bell pepper, cut into cubes
1 can (154 ml) evaporated milk or 2/3 cup coconut milk

Directions:

1.)  Saute ginger, garlic, and onion in 1 tablespoon oil for 2 minutes. Add patis and chicken. Saute for 10 minutes or until the chicken is slightly brown.

2.) Add peppercorn and pineapple syrup. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.

3.) Add bell pepper, milk, and Del Monte Pineapple Tidbits. Simmer uncovered for 3-5 minutes, stirring continuously.





No comments: