Saturday, October 9, 2010

Book Review: One Hundred Years of Solitude


I've always been an avid reader ever since I was a small girl but nowadays I no longer read novels as often as I used to because of time constraints. There is one though that I would love to read again if I had the luxury of time. One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez is the best novel I've read in my entire life. I've read alot of good reviews about 'Love in the Time of Cholera' so I decided to read 'One Hundred Years of Solitude' which alot of people say is far better. I was intimidated at first by the book's many characters and their confusing names which can be seen in a family tree in the first page. But as soon as I started reading, I just couldn't stop. Legendary writer Gabriel Garcia Marquez was really a genius. One Hundred Years of Solitude brings to life magical characters so vividly described and the way Marquez has intertwined each character's life and the things that happened to them in a period of 100 years in such a cohesive and fluid way is simply amazing to me. Readers are transported in a fantasy world that seemed so real. I like the book's mixture of drama and comedy. I got confused a couple of times with the characters but I looked at the family tree every now and then. The book is meant to be savored and read slowly so as to get a clear picture of each scene. One Hundred Years of Solitude is truly a classic and not to read it would be a sin.

No comments: